Thursday, January 5, 2017

Some Nangara Dragons to Begin the Year



A visit to Nangara Reserve yesterday helped quench my thirst for a ‘dose of bush’ after the silly season.

The omens were good as I got out of the ute at the gate to be greeted by the call of the Olive-backed Oriole and the din of the Cicadas. A small party of Silvereyes seemed to keep up with me as I made a bee line for the bottom dam.
 
Silvereye - a delightful little bird often taken for granted.
The cooler gully regions at the bottom were alive with Craneflys, some determined to begin the futures of the next generation.

Craneflys have a fascinating biology and ecology.

As I sloshed around in the shallows and reeds of the bottom dam chasing some Dragonflys, a Rufous Whistler called continuously from some nearby trees. I’m never very confident with my odonata ID’s, but here goes.

I quickly noted at least four or five different Dragonflys and Damselflys. This first one I think is a Tau Emerald.

My guess is a Tau Emerald - pretty common

A pair of much smaller Dragonflys caught my eye and I waded out to the top of my boots and waited patiently for some shots of this pair of Eastern Pygmyflys, (perhaps?).
 
A female Eastern Pygmyfly (?) on a piece of overhanging vegetation.
The male consistently landed with his colourful abdomen held nearly vertical; a courting ritual perhaps?
 
The eye-catching male Eastern Pygmyfly.
Back on the shoreline and a (immature?) Blue Skimmer (?) paused long enough for a shot.

A Blue Skimmer that hasn't quite got complete colour yet.

The still water of the two dams and the slow trickles of the two creeks plus the associated boggy/swampy areas seem to make Nangara Reserve a haven for dragons and damsels at this time of year.

1 comment:

  1. You got some beauties there. I love that Eastern Pygmyfly. I've never seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete