Saturday, October 22, 2016

Four Recent Excursions



A walk through the Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve on a warmish day proved rewarding for sighting some Sun Orchids. Being a complete novice at identifying these beautiful terrestrial natives, I do not guarantee I have them labeled correctly. The reward for me is in discovering them, (they weren’t there yesterday!), getting in close to see their beauty, and the challenge to capture a decent image with which to remember the experience.
 
Pink Sun Orchid?
Salmon Sun Orchid?
Dunno? Twisted Sun Orchid, T. flexuosa?

A pair of Rainbow Lorikeets at the same location had me switching off the macro settings for a short while. The birds were inspecting and guarding a nesting hollow, but wouldn’t cooperate with the quintessential ‘entering/leaving the hollow’ shot and I had to settle for the ‘what are you doing standing there with a camera’ shot!


At Nangara Reserve at Jindivick recently, while chasing what I think was my first Admiral for the season, my eye caught some movement in a nearby hole in the ground. A short wait standing fairly still being careful not to cast too strong a shadow and a Water Skink emerged.


Nearby Mt Cannibal Flora and Fauna Reserve is especially profitable at present too. Dave and I recently spent several very pleasant hours adding some terrestrial charmers to our wildflower jpeg folders.
 
Hare Orchid
 
Hornet orchid
Small Spider Orchid I think, (C/A. parva?)

The Sweetwater Creek NCR at Shady Creek was the location for an enchanting view of a pair of Wax-lip Orchids of opposite colour – the white variety being far less common than the mauve/purple.



What a great time of year it is to be in the bush!


1 comment:

  1. G,day Gouldie, lovely orchid photos, got some over beside McDonalds last week.

    Ross.

    ReplyDelete