Sunday, August 16, 2015

Nangara Notes - 16th August 2015



It has been some time since I did a report from Nangara. Chilly weather and a few other activities have kept me away but I got up there briefly this afternoon. On stepping out of the ute it was nice to hear and see some old favourite bush birds – Eastern Whipbird, Eastern Yellow Robin, Brown Thornbill, Superb Fairy-wren, Brown Gerygone and others.

An attractive bed of unidentified moss caught my eye.


I decided to get a few shots to add to my swelling ‘unidentified’ folder. Hope I live long enough to learn this stuff!


When I got down for the close up, I noticed an ant in the vicinity.


Red-headed Spider Ants apparently are endemic to Australia and are mostly found in the south-east corner of the continent. They are relatively common and fairly widespread throughout Victoria.



Colonies of Red-headed Spider Ants are generally smaller in size than many other species, numbering just several hundred at most. When disturbed, like today, they move quickly with their abdomens elevated and their speed and long legs and antennae make it tricky for the camera to focus.



Always something new – I haven’t ticked this species at this location before.
Gouldiae

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say it but you'll never learn about everything in your 'unidentified' folder, I'm fairly sure it will keep growing faster than you can find out about what's in it. I think it happens that way for all of us, especially those like me not organized enough to have an actual 'unidentified' folder as much as a heap of things in my head I really should figure out one day.

    If any of them are really bugging you try emailing the museum, they seem very good at finding experts on any field you might test them on.

    ReplyDelete