Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Rufous Whistler

I've been hearing plenty of Rufous Whistler calling in these parts of late - finally they're here - but haven't paused long enough for a photo. Yesterday was my chance. Incidentally if the Rufous Whistler song is unknown to you, it's worth Googling for an example - just glorious.

Thornells Reserve is a tiny bush block squeezed between the old highway and the new freeway just north-west of Drouin. I remember the spot being called Bellbird Corner in the 'old days' of long slow car trips to Melbourne down the old road.


On my way back from somewhere I dropped in to a veritable bird-song concert. There was obviously some R.Whistler territorial dispute going on, as well as Sacred Kingfishers, Grey Shrike-thrushes, Crimson Rosellas, Magpies, Spotted Pardalotes, Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Blue-wrens, a Treecreeper, etc were all calling above the soft roar of the freeway traffic. (No Bellbirds).

Several male Rufous Whistlers were doing most of the calling and chasing, completely ignoring me in the scrub.


Now and then a female with that beautiful chest and belly striping would lob in to the argument.


Sometimes its the brief 'off-the-itinerary' moments that can be so rewarding.
Gouldiae

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard a Rufous this season yet, but a Golden Whistler was calling it's heart out in my local patch last week.

    ReplyDelete