Saturday, June 21, 2014

More Fungi



Oh dear, I haven’t done a bird blog for a bit and the last one I did produce was another person’s efforts anyway – Jim’s very excellent finch shots from his recent trip.

I have been consumed in another couple of directions lately, one being those flamin’ fungi. Boy, can they tie you in knots when trying to identify them? Some even have a different spelling of the same scientific name. (Incidentally, if I’ve got these IDs wrong and that’s quite likely, please do not hesitate to advise – heyfieldwaresatwidebanddotnetdotau - I’m a willing learner).


I found this first one in my nearby favourite little Nangara Reserve at Jindivick. I think this is Cyptorama asprata, or perhaps Cryptorama asprata. (I pre-type these blog notes in Word and it doesn’t think much of either of those spellings!)

One source gives it a common name of Orange Scruffy and that’ll do me. It was growing amongst some moss on a dead log and made a nice composition I thought. I believe that bright colour might pale down to a yellow/orange with age. A bit of research led me to discover that this species might have some larvicidal properties against the yellow fever and dengue virus mosquitoes.



This next fungus confused me a bit too. I’d seen photos previously and have often wished to luck upon one myself but didn’t realize how tiny they were. I found it just north of Labertouche.



These are called the Bird’s Nest Fungus and I think this one is Nidula, (of course), emodensis.  The ‘eggs in the nest’ are called peridioles and they contain the fertile spores of the organism.


The peridioles are dispersed when raindrops fall into the nest, splashing them out. There are several theories on what happens next, one being that a,(an?), herbivore ingests the peridioles which then get further dispersed within the dung of the animal.



If you are not too bored you can see another theory on the dispersal of peridioles here.

Wow, nature just continues to amaze.
Gouldiae.


1 comment:

  1. I remember being very confused by the 'juvenile' form of the Nidula. I had photos I couldn't identify, and quite a while later the penny dropped. You have both juvenile and mature in your lovely photos. What amazing structures they are.

    ReplyDelete