Sunday, May 25, 2014

Fun With Fungi



B….y mushrooms!
There are so many of them - so many different types.
The same one can often have different common names. The same common name can sometimes apply to a number of different species.
The same one will sometimes have different scientific names or have undergone a recent name change, (so what’s new?).
Two different species can look alike.
The same one can vary in form and colour.
They often grow in dark and leech infested places.

BUT they are often beautiful, they don’t fly away or blow in the wind when you try and photograph them and they are FASCINATING.

A few posts back I was bemoaning the fact I hadn’t seen much fungi in my new location here in West Gippsland. That has well and truly changed. The weather has turned to a more autumnal/winter pattern and I’m beginning to discover more and more interesting sites.

I’m not too confident if I have nailed ID’s, (happy to receive any suggestions/corrections), but the following are three recent sightings.

Small Coral Fungus, (Ramariopsis crocea?). I found this on the ground under some dense understory on the Rokeby rail trail. Fairly common and widespread apparently.



 ....................

I love these Pixie’s Parasols, (Mycena interrupta?). Mrs G found these when we were exploring the track down, (and then back UP), to the Labertouche Cave. They were growing on dead logs and the caps were less than 10mm diameter.




 .....................

My ‘research’ into this Orange Pore Fungus, (Favolaschia calocera?), led me to discover that it is an invasive introduced species, probably from Madagascar. It was found not long back in some national parks in Queensland but has since been seen in many other places, including Uralla Reserve in Trafalgar where Peter G and I came across it recently.




....................

Great fun for the winter when the birds go quiet.
Gouldiae






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your display of wonderful photos Peter. It was great to meet you at the exhibition
    Chris

    ReplyDelete