Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Another Fungi Foray



It is believed that in Australia there are about 13,000 recorded species of fungi and about 250,000 species in total. This leads me to two conclusions; getting the IDs correct will always remain a challenge and I’m going to run out of alliterations for my headings very quickly!

A recent stumbling stroll in the gullies of Nangara Reserve at Jindivick led me to find a couple of new ones for my ‘fungi folder’, (now separated from ‘wildflowers & fungi’).

Rhubarb Bolete

I think this one is Boletellus obscurecoccineus, a native fungus with pores rather than gills that likes to grow in eucalypt leaf litter. Although widespread the Rhubarb Bolete is a bit uncommon apparently.
 ....................................................................................

Pear-shaped Puffballs

Weird or what? I set a picture of these as my wallpaper for a day or two and Mrs G found it ‘spooky’. It’s possible the proper name is Lycoperdon pyriforme. Just to prove that scientists can have a sense of humour, apparently the Greek lyco = ‘wolf’ and perdon = ‘to break wind’. The Wolf-fart Mushroom – I’m never going to forget that name!
................................................................................

Fungus-on-fungus



I haven’t got the ID here yet, but the image is a wonderful description of the role played by fungi in the decomposition of organic material in the bush.
 .....................................................................................

I’ve started a fungi gallery on Drive.
Gouldiae

4 comments:

  1. If desperate for innovative alliteration one can always replace the 'f' with 'ph' so it looks different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phlabmeister I'll try to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Further Fungi Forays maybe?

    We had a tree lopper over to do some work last winter who was quite taken with the range of fungus in our back yard, other than that we have a reasonable variety of colours and shapes through out autumn and winter I couldn't begin to put names to any of them though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day PB,
    Yep, they pop up everywhere, huh? Let's hope none of yours in your backyard were the parasitic Honey Fungus,(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armillaria).
    Regards,
    PW.

    ReplyDelete