Monday, August 12, 2013

Arboreal and Terrestrial Tunnels



Hello Readers,
Suddenly the pressure is on for nesting hollows on the golf course and no doubt in the surrounding bush areas. I know of at least 9 bird species that use hollows in our trees and along with Brushtail and Ringtail Possums, Sugar Gliders, the odd lizard, bat and frog etc, competition is keen.

Yesterday, as I walked under a large box near the fifth green, I spotted a pair of Galahs and a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets sitting near some hollows.




I made a mental note to re-check the locality when I returned back home. I didn’t have to wait long for the residents to show themselves.




------------------------------

The beautiful little Spotted Pardalote likes to dig a tunnel in some soft earth of course, but try as I might, I couldn’t get this bird to reveal its nest site. For a canopy feeder it was spending an inordinate time near ground level which was OK for me – I was getting some nice views – but I couldn’t pick where it might have a tunnel.



 ---------------------------

Only the male Scarlet Robin turned up for our morning talk yesterday. Is she incubating?
Regards,
Gouldiae.

No comments:

Post a Comment