Monday, February 25, 2013

Crim-eastern?

G'day Readers,
An approaching thundercloud and a sudden rise in humidity had me running inside for the camera yesterday in the hope of spotting some Needletail Swifts that often accompany such conditions. No go on both fronts – no swifts and NO B….. RAIN!

Eastern and Crimson Rosellas are the two principal parrot species on the golf course. A few hollow trees and a dozen or so nest boxes encourage them to stick around. The easterns like the seed heads on the grasses and the crims enjoy seeds and fruits of the shrubs and trees. I’ve reported seeing a hybrid before and it is still around.




Not too unusual really, the www is full of such photos. Some look like crimsons with white cheeks and others look like easterns with blue cheeks. I’m reporting this pair from the point of view of the territory they occupy.

We have both species all over the golf course and in the garden here at home, (next door), and I’ve always considered that I’d probably be seeing some of the same birds when I was on the 12th green at one end of the course, or the 1st green at the other end. Yesterday it dawned on me that I only ever see this pair around the 8th and 16th greens that by a quirk of golf course geography are very close to one another. It seems the birds are very specific in the territory they like to occupy.

Here’s a couple of shots that show normal(?)  Eastern and Crimson Rosellas.
 

 
Regards,
Gouldiae.

1 comment: