Tuesday, January 1, 2013

David's Hobby


 G'day Readers,
One of the joys of birding is to unexpectedly come across kindred spirits and that happened just the other day when I was trying to capture some images of the Shining Bronze Cuckoo in my previous entry.


A couple approached me at the Powder Magazine in Sale and asked what I was chasing with the binoculars and camera. As usual, I began to wonder do I just say, “A bird”, or do I say, “A Cuckoo”, or do I even say, “A Shining Bronze Cuckoo”. To my absolute delight, David and his wife were as passionate about the avi-fauna in the district as I am.

We looked at the Cuckoo and some of the images I’d managed, listened to its call and chatted for some time. David related the story of a Hobby devouring a meal on the nature strip in the middle of Sale back in February this year, (oops, last year), and said he had some pictures, would I like to see them? Wow, they arrived today – beautiful. I now have some great pictures of a Hobby to replace the ones in my mind of a dark bird zooming through the background.

(All pictures by David Crouch of Sale)


 

 

 

Thanks David, wonderful shots of an uncommon bird.
Regards,
Gouldiae.


3 comments:

  1. Excellent images: please thank David for sharing them. I've circulated a link to this post to the Canberra birders chatline.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a young Hobby and given the location and month of February, probably only a few months old, as in born in that summer, eating some kind of passerine. It is odd though eating on the ground. I have never seen a Hobby eating on the ground, only on perches or in flight.

    Philip Veerman

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Canberra,
    Thanks have indeed gone to David, Martin.
    Yes Philip, still quite a dark bird. David said he watched and photographed the bird for some time and probably could have even touched it had he had a mind to - thank goodness for the bird to have been approached by someone of David's sensibilities rather than a 'spotty teenager'. (Oops, have I just overstepped the boundary of political correcness?)
    Regards,
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete