Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Mullungdung Heathwren



G’day Readers,
Yesterday I squeezed in a half day ramble through a favourite patch of the Mullungdung Forest south of Rosedale. This bit of country is a mixture of eucalypt and banksia trees with tracts of understory scrub and heath.

The birds were quiet but I got some views of the usual Eastern Yellow Robins, blue wrens, Brown Thornbills and the odd honeyeater, etc.  To compensate for the lack of avian life, some of the understory shrubs were starting to show off, so there was plenty to look at.

Bushy Needlewood Hakea?


Bushy Needlewood?


Common Heath

Common Heath

Common Correa


While lying prone for some shots of the correa, a small bird flitted past and landed a short distance away to watch me. I rolled to one side and untangled the binoculars to discover it was a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren. I’d seen this uncommon little bird several times before in this spot but not been able to get a decent picture. By the time I got to my knees and changed camera settings, the bird had moved away back into the scrub, but a quiet search revealed it again briefly in the distance. I got one shot.

Gotcha


I’ll just have to return.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I find these little birds difficult to get a decent look at, let alone a good photograph such as yours.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martin - it was a lucky break is all. Previous sightings have been very brief and/or distant. Nice to get it though, and nice to know that the bird(s) is still there, as I've been seeing them over a couple of years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, great to know they are in that area

    ReplyDelete