Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Two Recent Biggies

G'day,
Walking between a couple of fairways the other day and some large pieces of ‘shrapnel’ began dropping around me from above. I backed off and circled around a bit and discovered a trio of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos feeding in a Hakea and making short work of the tough seed pods with their powerful beaks.




Been seeing them fly over a bit lately and I was wondering if they were making any food stops on the course.

On another recent occasion I was mowing our grass at home and a largish shadow passed slowly over me. I switched off the mower and began looking around for the bird responsible. It was too slow for a swallow, but about the same size I estimated. Then a flutter of colourful wings on a nearby flower head caught my eye.



The Orchard Swallowtail is one of the largest butterflies we get around here - occasionally. Always a sight to see and once this female landed Glen and I got some nice close views of a tattered and torn lady. Time to check the lemon tree!
Regards,
Gouldiae.

2 comments:

  1. Check the Lemon Tree in 10 days time when the eggs will have hatched into caterpillars.
    Black Cockies love those Banksia cones, don't they?
    Great shot.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Black Cockatoo photos, Gouldiae. I planted lots of trees that bear hard seed pods to try to bring them into the garden. I'm into birdscaping and native gardening in a big way. I created a Facebook page called Australian Native Plant Enthusiasts. It would be great if you check it out and post on the wall.

    Cheers,
    Serge

    ReplyDelete