Thursday, February 9, 2012

Whistling Wings South of the Divide.


G’day All,
The Crested Pigeon has not been a regular Gippsland bird. Although the bird would be classed as a widespread species, most distribution maps show that we are not supposed to have them around here.

 

For some several months now I have been seeing a single bird quite regularly around the golf course. Today, a pair let me get quite close provided I stayed aboard the motor bike. Like many other birds on the course, as I loudly motor by, they tend to ignore me or perhaps fly off just a few metres. I think I’ve become a part of the habitat. Don’t reckon it would work down at the wetlands, but!

The cresteds seem to be advancing ever further toward the coastal zone of southern Victoria. Their whistling wing noise as they fly off is apparently regarded as a warning signal. Whatever, they are a welcome invader to my little corner of the world. Thus far, the bully-boy Noisy Miners and Rainbow Lorikeets haven’t convinced them to move on.


Regards,
Gouldiae.

3 comments:

  1. Part of the great expansion of the "wheat-belt" birds. Watch out for Corellas in about 10 years, then.
    They take over.
    At least the Crested Pigeons are relatively quiet and non-aggressive.
    They also build their own nests, whereas Corellas compete for nest hollows.
    CPs moved into Canberra some time in the 1970s, and slowly built up in numbers.
    When I was a kid, we had to drive 150 Km to Forbes or Wagga before we saw them. Now they are permanent residents.
    Supposedly a change in the habitat - opening up of the country (clearing) and the relentless spread of 20 acre hobby farms north and west from Canberra has linked that area with the former grasslands and now farmed Wheat Belt.
    Exactly the same thing happened with Galahs, but 10o years earlier.
    I love Crested Pigeons, and that is a really nice image. Great colour capture.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Denis,
    You are correct about the Corellas, we have those here too now. Some golfers reckon the 'cockies' are making different calls these days! And we have Galahs in good number. I often count flocks of 100+ on the fairways some evenings. All good stuff and I like the Crested Pigeons too. Now, if only the numbers of Noisy Miners could be reduced we might get some regular little birds, wrens, thornbills, etc!
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the last 3 or 4 years I've been noticing crested pigeons moving into areas around Melbourne where i have not noticed them as well. I must admit I like seeing them too, they were one of the things I missed when moving from the Adelaide hills to the south east of South Australia as a child.

    I just hope their expanding habitat is not too many other things' vanishing habitats.

    ReplyDelete