Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cattle Egrets by the Score

G'day,
I found a big mob of Cattle Egrets on a farmer's dam this afternoon - around 200 I got to before they spooked. No individuals seemed to have any hint of breeding plumage. I think they are only winter migrants down here and head north to breed in the warmer parts.





Interesting bird. Always associated with stock as they scramble for insects that are stirred up by the feet of the cattle. I love discovering these little 'associations' that some birds have.
Regards,
Gouldiae.








1 comment:

  1. Hi Gouldiae.
    Nicely observed.
    I see them on the coast below here, and in Kangaroo Valley. Although there are vast dairy herds around Nowra and KV, I have not seen such large numbers as you have shown here.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete