Saturday, July 30, 2011

New Species

G'day,
Just when you reckon you've got the indigenous species pinged for an area, along comes a new one to throw a spanner in the works!

While wandering the Red Box bush on the golf course a day or two ago, a small bird zoomed down to the base of a tree and began climbing upwards, pecking away under the bark. "Bewdy", thinks I, "That's the first treecreeper I've seen in here!"

The bird got up to the first few branches then dropped down on to the base of the next tree and again worked its way upwards, just like the White-throated Treecreepers in the district. It didn't look quite right however, and usually the treecreepers are heard before they are seen. It was time to work my way closer for a better view in the dim light.


Be blowed! A Yellow-rumped Thornbill. Quite out of character I think.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

3 comments:

  1. You're not the only caught barking up the wrong tree. Several species seem to move up trunks, fewer forage downwards (in my limited experience).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute bird, at first I thought it was a treecreeper. Great sighting and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Tony & Eileen,
    Now why didn't I think of 'Barking Up The Wrong Tree' for a post heading Tony?
    Thanks Eileen - we normally see Yellow-rumps on the edge of the bush, feeding on insects on the open ground!

    ReplyDelete