Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Big and the Beautiful

G'day All,
I luckily had the camera with me on the mower yesterday, just as I spotted a Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring over the fairway I was mowing. I pulled over to the side under some trees and managed a shot or two without getting off the machine.

As soon as I got off the mower and broke my cover the bird began to rapidly gain altitude, seemingly without a flap of its wings, and very quickly became just a speck in the sky.

A little later in the day I was just near Sale and came across a family of Flame Robins on a fence line. Using the car for cover this time, they allowed me one or two quick captures before dashing off out of range.

I find the flame a delightful little bird. They are a little more understated than the regular scarlets we get here. They love the open country where they spend their day perching on wires and low branches and suddenly pouncing down to some tasty morsel spied on the ground.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

5 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful little bird - lovely pics! Isn't it interesting how often motorised transport/equipment provides an adequate cover to get closer to a bird? But Gouldiae, how do you keep your camera safe, clean and not too hot when you are mowing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eagle in flight is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Tis a big mower with a big glovebox!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardly "understated" with all that red right down the chest and belly.
    Stunning bird.
    Love the Wedgie. I'm due to get some here shortly I think, with some steady windy weather.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love that eagle. I can watch the ones here soar with what seems they're hardly ever flapping. The color on the robins are so bright. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete