Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Short Walk







G'day Readers,
There is a little creek and gully just north of home that DF and I refer to as 'Owl Creek' because of the Powerful Owl sightings that we have made in there. With little to do as the course was full of players on Friday morning, I dashed up for a quick stroll.

The Sulphur-crested Cockatoos were in their lookout trees and they alerted all and sundry  for miles around that I was in the area. It doesn't seem to matter which way I choose to enter or how slow I move, they are on to me.
 

As I crested the cliff top and peered down, I could see and hear that the recent, (and beautiful), rain had swollen the creek to a level I hadn't seen in there for some time.


One of the first things I do on such 'expeditions' is listen for the various bird calls and try to determine if the number and variety of species is going to be rewarding. The noise of the water cascading over the rocks put paid  to hearing any birds, save for the piercing call of a nearby White-throated Treecreeper. Actually the bird count was low and yet I felt the conditions were ideal. Blue Wren, Grey Thrush, Golden Whistler, a very distant Lyrebird and that was about it.

It was still very pleasant - the sight and sound of the rushing water and the smell of the bush was reward enough.

Eventually I gave up a bit on the birds and began scanning the ground. The moss beds were greener than I'd seen them in ages and I can attest to the fact that the Stinging Nettles were enjoying the conditions. Here and there a few of the beautiful little Rock Isotomes were in flower.


Conditions too were good for fungi. This Volvariella sp, (I think), was a standout.


All in all a very pleasant interlude, then it was back to the mowing and spraying.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how the birds can have different notions of what's an ideal day. But maybe they were too busy foraging to worry about calling? (Although, I've noticed that the spotted catbirds here will call with their beaks full. Not sure if that's bad manners or not!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fungi is very beautiful and it is good to see the creek flowing.

    ReplyDelete