Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Day for the Girls

G'day All,
Yesterday was the first day I've felt like hunting down some camera subjects for some little while. I still have the dreaded lurgi, but my appetite and energy levels have returned a bit. There is a whole team of pathologists trying to determine what it is. When we find that out, we might be able to start some proper recuperation and repair - roll on.

After the frost melted away, I explored  my small favourite bit of bush up the back of the golf course. My first delight was a first sighting for the golf course of White-naped Honeyeaters.


 There was a nice little group of a half dozen birds working the Box blossoms. I couldn't hear their characteristic 'shirrrp-shirrrp-shirrrp' call. Probably not the time of year yet, but then my hearing is poor at present.

One of my favourite winter visitors flew in next for a short sunbake on top of a dry spar.


I hung around for a bit and eventually the delightfully understated female Scarlet Robin popped down to my level and gave me some brief views in little patches of sunlight.

 
My next surprise was to have a small party of Spotted Pardalotes work through the foliage only just above head high. I usually struggle to pin these lovely littlies as they spend so much time high in the canopy. Again, it was one of the females that gave me the best opportunity for a picture.


 Golden Whistlers, Striated Pardalotes, Red Wattlebirds, Common Bronzewings and one or two others completed my little bush sojourn. I then threaded my way between golfers on my way home. Most of the front 9 fairways have a range of  'flowering gum' plantations between them and many of these are loaded with Musk and Rainbow Lorikeets at present. In between golfers, this Musk let me get a picture or two.



Didn't have any trouble at all hearing these beauties through my blocked ears. Sun's up, might go over for another look this morning.
Regards, 
Gouldiae.






3 comments:

  1. Hi Gouldiae, sorry you are still not feeling well - but all those beautiful birds should have given you a lift. My favorite would be the Pardalote - a different one from what we see up here and quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you cast out the dreaded lurgi soon!

    What a beautiful sunny day. Hope the weather stays that way for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series of bird photos, you had a great day birding. I love the Lorikeets, they are so colorful.

    ReplyDelete