Thursday, November 26, 2009

Target Bird

G'day,
Between waterin', mowin', and corin' the greens, yesterday I snuck across to Sale for a little while.

Down at the Redgate Reserve, the Rufous Whistlers were in fine form. This bloke came in to check me out when I started imitating one part of their call described by Pizzey as; "...a ringing, almost explosive 'eee-chong', uttered singly or several times...".


I headed for the common next and along the track I got some wonderful views of Darters at various stages of growing up. I think it was a pretty good year for this specie in the common - there are still several 'live' nests.


Anyway, that heading. I'm always loathe to nominate a target bird when I'm about to head off to a location. So many times I get disappointed when the bird fails to materialise, or rather when I fail to spot it.

A week or so ago, Val and Dierdre assured me they'd seen a Scarlet Honeyeater at the common, and they even showed me the tree in which they had seen it. Oh yeah thinks I. But, there has been a few reports of this bird reaching our little south-east corner this season, so I thought I'd give it another go.

Lo and behold, in the very tree ...



Thanks ladies, haven't seen one for a couple of seasons until now. Beautiful. One day I might be able to do justice to it with my camera.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! How often does that happen?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Target hit - and all that work done too. Happy day at work and play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please give the Scarlet Honeyeater a map directions for getting to Tassie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good birding day when you find your target bird. Congrats. But - I particularly like the little Rufous Whistler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well,done, Gouldiae.
    Congrats to your spies as well, of course.
    Its very satisfying when a plan works.
    Of course one cannot "announce" such a plant - even to oneself - for that will mean it surely doesn't work.
    One definitely has to "sneak up" on such events.
    I think it is a variant of Murphy's Law.
    .
    Mosura, in NSW we are all working as fast as we can on Global Warming - digging out all that nasty coal, to help the Chinese and Indians burn it, to promote more Global Warming.
    The Victorians are even thinking of selling their crappy Brown coal to China, because they have so much of it, they cannot burn it fast enough.
    That's how the Scarlet HE will make it to Tassie. It might take a few years, though.
    Gives you time to plant some Grevilleas for them to feed on in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Bronwen -
    Not often. Funny though, I get a good sighting in a tree and years later I will check that same tree, just in case!?

    G'day Tony -
    Yep, achieved a bit. B......d today though!

    G'day Mosura -
    Yeah, that'd be nice hey? Denis might be right, give the climate change a bit longer and they might cross the Strait. Who was it, Ted Egan, talking to a drover in a bar..
    "Where ya takin ya sheep mate?"
    "To Tassie."
    "How ya gunna get em across Bass Strait?"
    "I'm not gunna go that way!"

    G'day Mick -
    Good season for Rufous's's's(?) down here.

    G'day Denis -
    Sneak up on such 'events' is just what I try to tell myself to do. I'm hopeless though, it seldom works.

    Regards all,
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Gouldiae,

    what a wonderful detour you made with those bird sightings. I have not had a chance to do much bird watching around the Hunter Valley yet this season, but I hope to spot the Scarlet HE at Werakata NP sometime through this week. They are always a thrill to encounter. Perhaps I will be too late, but. It will depend on the flowering of the native Callistemon on the power easement.

    A Darter is always a spectacular sighting. And the Rufous Whistler is delightful. Thank you - a lovely start to my morning.

    Cheers,
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day Gaye,
    Thanks for dropping by. Hope you sight a scarlet at Werakata(?).
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete