Friday, November 13, 2009

Insubstantial

G'day Blogwatchers,
I ducked over to Maffra today to see how a chap I know was getting on with his 'dicky' knee. On a scale of 1 to 10, the recovery is going OK. (See DF, I can see through your stoicism).

On the way home there was a little piece of bush that I haven't checked for some time - hang the watering, the camera was in the ute, so why not? There wasn't a lot going on, except this little Jacky Winter kept eyeing me from its perch.


Mmm thinks I, back in my aviary Gouldian Finch days, that piece of open feathering on the belly usually meant the bird was incubating some eggs. Eventually I spied a blob of feathery, cobwebby material in a horizontal fork. I thought it too insubstantial to be a nest at first and it was quite exposed.


However, that was it alright, for a short time later the bird flew in and settled down into position.


So small, open and fragile. Just amazing.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog. Very observant of you :) and we are the beneficiaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about the open feathering on the belly. Seems to me that is real knowledge from experience and not just book learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Ladies,
    Thank you for your kind words. I've always found the Jacky Winter a little charmer.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well spotted!

    That bird really went out on a limb in choosing that nest site :-)

    Funny thing is I often see the brood patch on chooks and ducks but hadn't ever thought of looking for it on wild birds. (While writing that I just remembered Duncan's Sea-eagle photos last year which showed the brood patch)

    Please pass on a "Get Well" to Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Mosura,
    'Brood patch' was the term I was looking for when I typed the blog - thanks.
    Yep, will pass on your wishes to Duncan.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gouldiae, What a lovely find - a nice reward for your keen observation. Thanks for passing on the hint!

    I would also like you to pass on my good wishes to Duncan, I'm really enjoying his farm series.

    Cheers
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will do Barbara, thanks.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete