Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Concern Allayed

Mornin' All,
I've been a little concerned that one baby Chough hadn't survived its fledging. This first picture was taken nearly three weeks ago and both babies in the nest seemed of equal size - and pugnacity.

A day or two after taking the shot, the nest was vacant. In the intervening time I've managed to spot the family foraging on the ground around the course but there seemed only to be one youngster present, so I was telling myself to be philosophical about it.

Yesterday I was able to spend some time to follow them through the bush a little and to my delight I discovered that both youngsters were present.



Concern allayed - so far!
Regards,
Gouldiae.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and so good both young ones have survived. Would one bird be just a little stronger and more advanced than the other? From the fledglings I have watched that often seems to happen but I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good news story Gouldiae - as you say - 'so far'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news! You must be chuffed. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day -
    Mick, yep, that's often the case. Might have something to do with the one that hatches first always gets a head start on the other(s).
    Thanks Barbara & Mosura. I'll do my best to keep an eye out for them. There is another clan in a bit of bush nearby and I think the Choughs will sometimes creche their young. I remember one time coming across a group of 20 to 30 with heaps of young at various stages - 'Noisy Choughs'.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably less for puny youngster to worry about within the social setting of Choughs than in less gregarious nesting of most other species. But any sensible bird would also always want to be the one that got the head start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will have no end of screeching Choughs around the Golf Course.
    Good result.
    Two chicks is a small clutch. Perhaps inexperienced parents? They sometimes nest collectively, with several females laying eggs in the one nest, and the whole family looking after the kids.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  7. So that's what they look like before they develop the swagger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi enjoyed your blog. http://d-wing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute babies Chough. I am happy to hear they are both OK. You will have to keep us updated on their progress.

    ReplyDelete