Sunday, October 25, 2009

Near Rosedale

G'day,
Yesterday the sun was out, so it was the ideal opportunity to return to the Rosedale - Longford Rd spot to see the Salmon Sun Orchids.



When Glen and I were there last week, one of the field nats gave us the 'heads up' on a bit of bush closer to Rosedale, where there was a chance for some Ruddyhoods to be still in flower.



I hadn't seen one of these, so I managed to locate the spot and get some shots. While I was prone on the ground struggling with camera settings, there was a scratching sound from the large tree right behind me. After getting some acceptable Ruddyhood images, I checked the tree and discovered a largish Lace Monitor in the upper reaches.



I'm rather pleased that while I was lying on the ground in his territory, he didn't mistake me for an invading competitor!
Regards,
Gouldiae.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers and the first photo shows just how many of them there were right there. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers and a nice set of claws on that Lace Monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics of some delightful little orchids Gouldiae. I enjoyed the story of your discovery of the Lace Monitor!
    Regards
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Mick, Neil and Boobook,
    Thanks for looking in. Yep it was a nice afternoon - perhaps I could have done with a few less mozzies. Small price to pay, but!
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Barbara,
    Yes, he was a decent size. Glad he opted for the tree. When I need to get down on the ground for a pic, I tend to think of ants, perhaps other orchids, etc, but generally I don't wonder if there is a goanna nearby!
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gouldiae.
    Glad you got your Red Sun Orchids to open for you.
    I got my Pink ones, last week.
    .
    Now, as for your Ruddyhoods, once again I am jealous of your finds. I am on a promise to be shown some later this week. But at this moment, I have never seen one of that group.
    Looks like Pterostylis squamata Borrow your wife's copy of Jeanes and Backhouse and check P. 132.
    Labellum is a perfect match for your plant, complete with spiky hairs.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day Denis,
    Yes, I think it is squamata too. I had Jeanes and Backhouse in the ute with me on the day but I have a terrible habit of not checking the flower or the image on the camera closely while I'm on the spot. I didn't notice the hairy labellum until I had the pic on the computer that night. I was just satisfied it was a 'ruddy'. (DF always puts his glasses on and double checks his subject before firing away). Half of the Sun Orchid shots I got that day were of a flower with one petal curled over a bit too. Lesson learned - hopefully!
    Regards and thanks,
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete