Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Quick Catch Up

G'day,
This is a brief entry to give an idea of some of the things that have been happening.

1. The Rainbow Lorikeets on the golf course are feeding young already. (Some more pics on my Tabblo site).


2. The other day, I helped out at another Bug Blitz exercise with the local schools at the Heyfield Wetlands - tree planting, bug collecting, nest box erection, birdwatching...


3. Took G to the train again and took the chance to check out a favourite nearby reserve - Tall Greenhoods were up.


Regards,
Gouldiae.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Gouldiae
    Nice post about the Rainbows, and Caterpillars, and Orchids.
    I was stung by a "cup moth" caterpillar, somewhat like your top caterpillar image. I remember it vividly!
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely busy - but also fun things with which to be busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mornin' Denis,
    Yes, the 'bug person' in charge warned the kids about the possible stings, bites, excretions... that might occur. They all had specimen jars, so that helped. Several boys got wet while sweeping catching nets through the water. I don't think the 'frog man' had any troubles, and I didn't lose any on the bird walk.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Mick,
    Yeah, all good fun. A few of the kids were remarkably knowledgeable with the birds. One young boy went birdwatching most weekends with his grandfather. I'll have to wait for my three to grow a bit.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  5. G, the other caterpillar is the larva of Sparshall's Moth, Trichiocercus sparshalli. I've also photographed it in the past and it's featured in Volume 2 of Peter Marriot's Moths of Victoria, just out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks DF,
    I might pass that on to JC for his records.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strap the junior three into a golf buggy. Get 'em trained early as birders, nature lovers - and sharp-eyed caddies!

    ReplyDelete