Monday, August 24, 2009

Two Recent Excursions

G'day,
In the last couple of days I've had the opportunity to briefly visit two localities that I haven't checked out for some time.

Yesterday I drove a few kilometres up the Licola Rd to a small gully that has held some promise in previous visits. On the way I sprung several Wedge-tailed Eagles attending to some road-kill on the side of the road. They were pretty wary and only let me get a shot of them soaring in the distance. Massive birds.

Around here, we have almost forgotten what 'green and moist' is like, yet this little gully less than 30km away was just that. I was greeted by a decent flock of King Parrots, heaps of Bowerbirds and quite a few Crimson Rosellas.

Nice to see the crimsons in number, as around home they are definitely in decline. While we get King Parrots visiting the garden and golf course it is always a pleasure to see them in their more natural environment.

The old 4 wheel drive track on the side of the gully was starting to come alive with wildflowers too. Austral Indigo was beginning to flower, plenty of Twining Glycine on show and even a few greenhoods were in flower including the Blunt Greenhood.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


I took G to the train in Traralgon the other day and took the opportunity to look in at the Crinigan Road Reserve at Morwell. The Heyfield Birdwatchers will be visiting the area next month. One of the car-parks is surrounded with a variety of flowering grevilleas and the New Holland Honeyeaters and Eastern Spinebills were furiously working them over.
As I enter this blog, there is some light rain on the roof and the radar doesn't look too bad. Probably only skitty, (see, I cleaned that up), showery stuff, but it all helps.
Regards,
Gouldiae.








2 comments:

  1. Nice ones in the grevilleas. Fingers crossed for something more substantial than skittering on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a down pour here like I haven't seen in a while. The drains and gutters filled fast. It helped drown the forest fires. I'll send some your way.

    ReplyDelete