Thursday, July 9, 2009

Two Nocturnals

G'day,
As followers of this blog will know, I often like to do a bit of a wander around the place at night with a spotlight. Lately, the night wanders have been pretty brief. I'm not too keen to move far from the fire when the thermometer is hovering around zero.

However, the chilly conditions don't seem to prevent the nocturnal residents in the garden from being active. They of course are well adapted, whereas I have to light a fire!

My brief outdoor venture last night produced two nice sightings. The first was this Sugar Glider in a Bushy Yate just by the wood heap...



I'm always impressed with their seemingly inordinately large bushy tail. I'm guessing it might have a role to play during a 'glide' session. (Now there's a photo to lust for).

My second sighting last night was a first for me around here. I'd finished with the glider and was walking back to the house and a brief flutter of wings from a nearby garden bed alerted me to this wonderful little Owlet Nightjar...


Recently I'd erected a couple of small roosting boxes supposedly to suit these little birds. I wonder did they do the trick? I'll have to make an effort to monitor the boxes a bit more closely at dawn and dusk, to try and confirm they are using them. Yes, I'll just HAVE to.

Regards,
Gouldiae.

11 comments:

  1. Great sightings like that just about make up for those terrible temperatures!! The photos of the Owlet-Nightjar are really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sightings worth a warm glow on a cold night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day,
    Mick - Yep, I was a bit rapt to get the ONJ.
    Indeed Tony, indeed.
    Dave - You'd probably be in shorts and tee shirt. We nearly always get a nice sunny day after our frosty starts around here.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gouldiae
    Re ONJ, not only did you see one, you managed a classic photo.
    Based upon my experience, you ought retire from bird photography now. Save yourself the time and embarrassment of chasing a better image.
    It might be years till you do so well again.
    Congratulations.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Denis,
    You're a bit generous, but thanks. I got lucky is all. I desperately wanted to duck into the shed and get the steps for a little bit of elevation, but wasn't game to leave the spot in case it flew off.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pics & Great little bird, the Owlet Nightjar. I'm just going out this afternoon to see if I can get pics or video of one that pops out of his hollow on a sunny afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day Richard,
    Thanks for the compliment and good luck with getting some footage of yours over there.
    Enjoyed your blog - quality stuff. Some of that Borneo flora and fauna is stunning.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! Especially the owlet nightjar.

    I've often thought about gaffer taping hot water bottles to myself as an answer to the winter cold. Needless to say, I haven't actually done it ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gouldiae, That is such a wonderful photo of the Owlet Nightjar that I just had to make a belated comment (no time for posting or reading blogs recently). Beautiful detail of the 'whiskers' - a delightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. G'day Bronwen and Barbara,
    Thanks, yeah I definitely got lucky.
    Barbara, I understand your no time for reading. Happens here a lot sometimes. Life gets in the way!
    Bronwen, I sometimes don't rug up as the intention is just for a short dash around the garden. The times I put on the scarf and beenie etc, spend ages wandering about for nothing.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete