Sunday, July 26, 2009

Another Visit to 'Owl' Creek.

G'day,
Yesterday, on the spur of the moment, I decided to walk into 'Owl' Creek.

Because of the dry conditions, I don't think the winter greenhood orchids are going to show on the golf course this year. Everywhere I walk in the bush between the fairways, the ground litter crackles. 'Owl' Creek was the nearest spot I could think of, where there might be a greenhood or two.

There wasn't anything showing on the walk down, and it wasn't until I got right up to the rocky gorge before I found any.I love the little 'forests' of greenhoods that grow out of the moss beds on top of some of the rocks. I could only find two species, the most common being the Trim Greenhood...
The other type was the Nodding Greenhood...
This little creek is a favourite habitat for a pair of Powerful Owls that we sometimes come across. I didn't get a sighting of them this time, however I did come across a Boobook.
The birds were fairly quiet - Golden Whistler, White-browed Scrubwren, Grey Thrush, Crimson Rosellas and a small flock of Red-browed Finches were the main sightings.

On the drive back down to the flat country, I surprised a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles feasting on some road kill. They lumbered off behind the tree line before I could get a photo. Just around the next corner though, this gorgeous little female Scarlet Robin did pose for a moment...
A beaut little 'full stop' to the outing!
Regards,
Gouldiae.

1 comment:

  1. Orchids and birds as well - very nice indeed! I especially like the photo showing the orchids growing out of the moss. There must be a lot of moisture right there.

    ReplyDelete