Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Four in One.

G'day,
This morning was cold and foggy and I had to go in to town early so, I took the camera and decided to do some warming up laps of the wetlands. The light was terrible and there was still a fair bit of fog about so I wasn't really thinking of seeing much to photograph. However, as I got near the second bridge, some movement in a 'flowering gum' caught my eye. One of the birds emerged toward an outer clump of flowers and revealed itself as a Yellow-faced Honeyeater.

I could see another bird working its way to a spot I could see, and it revealed itself as an Eastern Spinebill.

There was further movement within the foliage and although I was beginning to get cold again, I waited a little while and got a White-plumed Honeyeater.


This was great fun, and there was something else working its way toward me too. Turned out to be a White-naped Honeyeater. This one wouldn't sit still long enough for a decent picture though. Then they decided the show was over and a dozen birds flew out all together.

I don't ever recall seeing 4 species of honeyeater in the one tree at the same time.

I was too cold by now to stand there and wait for them to return. I could hear the spinebill calling nearby, so I'm guessing they would have returned for a top up at some stage.

Regards,
Gouldiae

4 comments:

  1. Definitely worth standing around in the cold to see and photograph that number of honeyeaters all in the same place! Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Gouldiae!
    Nice catch :)
    Of the three species on the photos I've only seen the Eastern Spinebill. And it's quite rare, I think, to spot them all in the same tree.
    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. nice few minutes of birding
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Denis, Nickolay and Mick,
    Yes, think I was a bit lucky. I might try and organise some re-visits in the next few mornings though. Gotta try and get a shot of the white-naped. Besides, it was nice to see such a congregation.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete