Monday, May 4, 2009

Eastern Rosella

G'day,
We are blessed here at Gouldiae country with ample numbers of the beautiful Eastern Rosella. Probably because they are so common, I tend to neglect them at times. When I catch a small group quietly feeding on the fairways, or splashing about under a sprinkler - something they seem to more readily enjoy than Crimsons, Galahs or Lorikeets - I'm reminded that to neglect them is my loss.
Platycercus (= broad or flat tailed), eximius (= outstanding, extroadinary or special), is not too bad a description. The English botanist, George Shaw, named the bird in 1792. 'Rosella' apparently, was derived from the name, Rosehill Parakeet, given by the early settlers when the birds were seen in good number in that area.

They are almost exclusively ground feeders and can be shy at times. They are a popular aviary species and can live to a good age of around 20 years.
Eastern Rosellas like to nest in old tree hollows, and I've found they will readily occupy a nest box. Platycercus eximius is a bit of a favourite around here. I must pay more attention. And, I must try harder to get some photos that do this beautiful bird justice.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

6 comments:

  1. The Rosellas are beautiful birds. I have Lorikeets in my garden all the time and the other day I was also thinking that I haven't really special photos of them - I need to get out and try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have lots of Green Rosellas around here - much more drab than either the Eastern, or their rather 'gaudy' cousins, the Crimson. We have to go further east in Tassie to come across Easterns

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a gorgeous bird. It's funny how we take for granted the birds we have that are most common. Ravens and magpies are not as colorful as your rosellas, but they are most popular here and gorgeous in their own way. I don't get the reponse when I post on them as I do with eagles, hawks and owls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gouldiae
    Stunning photo of the male bird (top photo), The second shot shows well the difference between the stunning male and somewhat more drab female.
    But we are fussy. If the males were not as bright, then we would say the females are wonderful.
    You are right to not ignore them. One day the Lorikeets may take over. I hope not.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks All.
    Mick - yep, the Loris can be photogenic, that's for sure.
    John - I've not seen a Green. We've got the Crims here too, and I've seen an Adelaide before.
    Dave - Yep, we certainly shouldn't take the commons for granted. Are you warming up yet?
    Denis - Thanks. Top photo - I was at the sink doing the dishes and he just flew in and posed.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish we had them up this way beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete