Sunday, April 26, 2009

Wotisit?

G'day,
Here's a new one on me.
I've had a quick scan of a couple of references to no avail. Being lazy and cold over here in the computer room, perhaps someone out there could help - while I go back in by the fire.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

PS: Thanks Snail, (see comments).
Seems as though it's a Spittlebug, (Aphrophora sp), so named for the frothy spittle it produces for protection in its nymph stage while attached to a juicy plant stem. The adult form is often referred to as a Froghopper, which appears apt as Glen and I noticed that this bloke could 'jump' considerable heights.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's a spittlebug, one of those leaf hoppers that spends its early life in a mass of unsavoury-looking bubbles (cuckoo spit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had a quick squiz at the Google library and here's something along similar lines, Philagra parva (Aphrophoridae)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gouldiae
    Nice beastie.
    Thank heavens for Snail' expert advice.
    I have seen them at their frothy stage, but never as an adult.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gouldie
    Good to see adult often seen the froth

    ReplyDelete