Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tawny Frogmouth

G'day Blog Readers,
The golf club is in the middle of its annual tournament at present and I've found it a little difficult for a while now, to find some time to do any blogging. Sometimes though, situations can just slide together. Last night was a bit like that.

I had to get some water onto the greens before they are cut and played on again in today's event, but I couldn't get the hoses out until very late in the day. That meant that after the watering it was 8pm, and I didn't feel like going back out to unplug and roll them up again, but it was a matter of have to. I decided to take the spotlight and camera, just in case.

I'd only just got through the gate and was rewarded right away - hadn't even unplugged the hose on the first green.

This was all very serendipitous. I'm in the middle of reading the excellent 'Owls, Frogmouths and Nightjars of Australia' by, (local author - well I'm claiming Orbost as 'local'), David Hollands.
This wonderful book is full of magnificent photographs and great information on our Aussie owls. It is beautifully written and the stories of the techniques used, and the efforts gone to by the author to produce the material are inspirational. You can read his biography and see some of his photographs at his website.

Anyway, back to my uninspirational efforts. The Tawny Frogmouth allowed me one more shot before softly flying off into the dark.

For the rest of the journey around the course, I could only manage some sightings of sleeping birds - Magpies, Miners, Lorikeets and a family of five Kookaburras very high up beside the 11th green.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic sighting and photos! It would almost make the necessity for work at that hour worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. I love these guys. Merv

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Mick, Duncan and Merv,
    Thanks for the comments. Not as beautiful as Phoebe Merv!
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fantastic photos! I love Tawnies. This one must have let you get quite close :)

    ReplyDelete