Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ready To Burn

G’day,
I probably shouldn’t have chosen that heading given the recent events in this corner of the world. However, about a fortnight ago it seems someone flicked a switch from ‘summer’ to ‘autumn’. Suddenly there’s a chill in the morning air and in the evenings, the jumpers are going on a bit earlier - it’s time to stock up the wood shed.
Generally I collect my firewood from various sources, in trailer lengths, or in lengths I can manage to lift into the trailer, right throughout the year.

The lengths are cut into firebox size on the saw horse and then split. The green wood is stacked into cris-cross piles for air drying for a season – I haven’t lived much of my life in a timber town without picking up 1 or 2 clues. These stacks are sometimes in species order too, as some are fast burning, and some burn more slowly.

The wood is transferred to the wood shed – an old finch aviary, (there wouldn’t be many wood sheds that are lined and insulated, hey?).
From there, it goes into the wheelbarrow that stays at the back door, or into the wood box beside the fire. Our house is well insulated and it only takes a small fire to warm it and its occupants.

Regards,
Gouldiae


8 comments:

  1. That all looks very cosy! Its an interesting country. Up this way I haven't had my air conditioner on for about a month - and there will be only a few days in mid-winter that I would feel the need for a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I began my wood working a couple of weeks ago, Gouldiae! Nearly resorted to lighting the fire last night. Tonight I probably will. Some wood is alreday stacked in the wood box at the back door.

    However, I put the rug on the old cow last night for the first time since last year! I had to chase her round the paddock, too!! :-)

    She will be 26 in July.

    Junior Lepid

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are you going to truck some of that lovely wood our way???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gouldiae
    Yes, the title looks unfortunate, in retrospect. But I know what you mean.
    I have been woken too early in the morning (night) by a chill breeze, recently.
    Its good that you are prepared. Very neat stack too.
    One of my friends has an old water tank on its side as his wood stack. It works very well.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, autumn warmth! Still 30+ up here.
    I notice the cat sat on the mat, but the dog gets a blanket? Cosying up to canines, are we? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all.
    You northerners don't get such distinct differences in the seasons huh. We have some northern rellies who say they miss the Victorian winters.
    I can't believe 26 JL. Didn't know they could live that long. Well loved I reckon.
    Your heap is underway Ros - all the stuff I can't split!
    Yes Denis, there's a lot of water tank woodsheds, (and dog kennels), around here too.
    They're both old pics from last winter Tony. In fact poor blind old Skip - the dog - is not with us anymore. If I can convince Glen to let me, I'll blog his demise story.
    Regards all,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe lots of farm-houses down this way aren't so well insulated - either that, or they use firewood for cooking, hot water, and all. Either way, in lots of places you see whole fence-lines stacked with very neat piles of wood. I often wonder how they'll ever get through it all - but they seem to. We've recently had our last wood-fire flue closed off, so now we're entirely electrically heated - clean and fairly cheap, but not nearly so 'cheery'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day John,
    Yes, there's a guy in town here, with a heap that large I had to ask if he was a wood merchant. Apparently not, it is just his private supply - perhaps he's expecting to live a long time!
    Our house also has electric floor heating. A couple of seasons ago we nearly had to go to the bank for a loan to pay the electricity bill, so the little wood burner went in.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete