Friday, March 20, 2009

The 'Eyes' Have It

G’day,
At our front windows, we have a bed of ‘Bidens’ that are in flower almost year round. Lately this flower bed has been visited regularly by the small but beautiful Meadow Argus butterfly.
The Meadow Argus is a direct flyer and has good eyesight. I had to be fairly patient to get a shot. With their wings flat, the eye patterns are very pronounced. I assume the ‘eyes’ are for deterring predators. The Meadow Argus apparently is a widespread species. I’m pleased they have ‘spread’ to my place.
Regards,
Gouldiae

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful butterfly and great photos! I have trouble with butterflies - maybe its more patience needed but also more speed in getting the camera set up I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gouldiae,
    Lovely butterfly and its colours tone so well on the yellow flowers that it makes a very pretty picture. I certainly appreciate that you would have some patience to get these shots, particularly after my recent Dragonfly experiences!

    Cheers
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete