Monday, March 2, 2009

Butterfly

G’day Blog Readers,
I need some help today. (Several close friends often say I need help!)

I mentioned in an earlier blog post that the ‘flowering gums’ on the golf course were well and truly in bloom and attracting plenty of visitors.


There’s been an attractive butterfly visiting two of the trees, and I can’t quickly pin down the species.



The colours and markings are fairly evident, but I wasn’t able to pin point the species in a couple of quick attempts. Would anyone like to enlighten me?
Regards,
Gouldiae

9 comments:

  1. Hello Gouldaie.

    That's the Vine Moth, Phalaenoides glycinae, a member of the Noctuid family. They are day fliers. I have them here from October to about April.

    Lovely shots, by the way.

    Junior Lepid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos - and the last one especially shows how pretty the moth is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gouldiae: Good news: none of CSIRO's vine moths are as attractively patterned as yours. Bad news: they're all pests!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gouldiae red means danger, ie the moth is poisonous to predators through toxins taken from the food plant the catapillar eats though in some cases non poisonous species just mimic these warning colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, great feedback. I can now add a bit more info on the natural world to my pea brain.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny (J.L.) set you on the right track, I am pleased to see.
    Great shots, especially of the body colours.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Gouldiae,

    what a beauty! I have seen a black and white moth here lately, several of them, but the jolly things don't stay still long enough for me to get a shot to have a chance at identifying them.

    Excellent photography !!

    Regards
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete