Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Struttin' ...

... down the fairway.

G’day All,
We’ve had half a dozen Straw-necked Ibis on the fairways the last few days.

They strut along and keep just out of good photography range – like so many birds I try to capture! I probably get closer to them on the mower and the motor bike actually.


We seldom get the Australian White Ibis, (Sacred Ibis), on the course. They seem to prefer the wetter irrigated farm paddocks.
I rather like the Straw-necks. Along with the Whites, they are sometimes called the farmer's friend for their habit of consuming numerous and various pest species like grubs, caterpillars, grasshoppers and the like.
When the light is just right, the plumage on their backs and sides is an iridescent black, bronze, blue and green.


I rename them – Greenkeeper's Friend!
Regards,
Gouldiae


4 comments:

  1. Nice photos of a very handsome bird. We have them up here too of course but not as many as the White Ibis and I have only once seen the Glossy Ibis around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Mick,
    DF and I saw some glossies near Sale, I think two seasons back. None since.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greenkeeper's Friends! They look beautiful :)
    I wish I could teleport there and have a closer look as I've never seen these guys before, only the Sacred ones.
    There's a Magpie in flight in the second pic too :)
    Thanks for sharing, Gouldiae! Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Gouldiae, Lovely birds, and they are helping you look after the course.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete