Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sad Times

G’day Blogworld,
Today I journeyed to Melbourne for some golf course machinery maintenance. I killed some time at Braeside Park – more of that later.


I tuned in to the ABC radio’s Bushfire Service for much of the trip to the (other), ‘big smoke’. Some of the stories from survivors were horrendous. Many of the interviews with volunteers were uplifting.


At lunch I perused the papers which of course you are aware, are filled with reports and images. The pictures of distraught couples in front of their burnt out properties were appalling. One image however, did the trick for me and produced some welling in the eyes. This photograph was on the front page of The Herald-Sun and inside The Australian…


People are not helpless, by and large. Some might be hopeless of course. Wildlife on the other hand is another story, a story I’d been wondering about for some time, and that picture just struck a chord. I’m afraid I ache every time I look at it.

On the way back home, I deviated slightly near Morwell, to a bit of elevated land I knew, that might give me some perspective of the fire that started near Churchill, the one I mentioned in an earlier blog entry. These innocuous puffs of smoke in front of the burnt hillsides was the only evidence I could see of what on Saturday, must have been an inferno…


Doesn’t look much does it? In case you are not aware, some statistics from just the Churchill fire –
More than 40 000 hectares,
Over 70 homes destroyed,

21 people killed, AT THIS STAGE – parts of this fire have flared again, and not all properties have been searched completely for victims.


I suspect you know what I’m going to finish with -

.
.
.
.
Authorities seem certain this was arson!
Regards,
Gouldiae

10 comments:

  1. "Authorities feel certain this was arson!"

    Gouldiae, I'm a foreigner. I come from a much worse part of the world. I've seen what high street crime level means, but why this?!!!
    I just can't find an explanation and feel so helpless and sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible indeed Nickolay, and this seems like a foreign world to me at present.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Gouldiae,

    thank you so very much for posting the image of the koala being helped. The human tragedy of the bushfires is incomprehensibly sad, but the unseen and largely untold wildlife tragedy also shocking.

    Thank you.

    Regards
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gouldiae.
    I'm glad you republished the Koala photo. I saw similar images circulating today on the Internet.
    Poignant.
    Your post is beautifully expressed.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand your "welling" Gouldiae, makes me feel much the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Gaye, Denis and DF,
    Yeah, I have to admit it got to me. I wonder when it will all be over? I can't think how the people who have lost everything must be feeling.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the tears we shed will come to nothing if we persist in refusing to learn from the past and ignoring scientific consensus about the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gouldiae have heard on the news some rain down your way hope it helps out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Neil,
    We have had some precipitation at last, and some of it has been on some of the fire areas - hooray!
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete