Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'm Easily Fooled.

G'day All,
Just a short note to explain that I was fooled for the umpteenth time by the old injured bird trick the other day.

While moving some hoses, a Wood Duck shot out of the grass and stumbled away from me with one wing dragging. As there are a few people who walk their dogs on the course from time to time, I felt she might be pretty vulnerable, so I decided to follow her and try to ascertain just what was wrong - could I help, was euthanasia warranted?

Just as I was about to follow, she turned and came toward me and veered off slightly. I thought this will be easy, I could probably catch her quickly.

Then the penny dropped. I turned around in time to see half a dozen babies hot footing it for some better cover. When I scanned the ground ahead of me I noticed another four lying doggo in the grass.

I retreated and allowed her to shepherd the last lot into the better cover with the others. I headed off to move more sprinklers, trying to remember just how many other times this had happened to me. Just a slow learner I guess.
Regards,
Gouldiae

8 comments:

  1. Now the real challenge! Find the high tree hollow from which they all jumped ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed Tony,
    That's always been something I would love to be around when it happens.
    Water hasn't got in yet?
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice story and photo - But what I'd like to know is where do you carry your camera when you are out like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Mick,
    Good question.
    I move about on the course on a quad-bike. Sometimes in the mornings and evenings I put the camera and binoculars on board, just in case. It worked this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gouldiae!
    Love the story! And it's great that you managed to even take photos.
    I've seen the same performance and my reaction was similar to yours even though I knew ducks do such things to attract attention.
    :)
    Nickolay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that by now you'd be wise to females pulling the wool over your eyes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day Nickolay,
    Huh, huh, thank goodness someone else can fall for the old 'I've got a sore wing' trick.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day DF,
    Yeah, you'd reckon wouldn't you. Gullible Gouldiae, that's me.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete