Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sugar Gums

G’day Readers,
I’ve been doing a lot of watering lately. It’s been some time since we’ve had any decent precipitation. I don’t know how long ago it was since we last had some rain. (You could send some down Tony). In my position you think I’d be keeping tabs on things like that. Perhaps subconsciously I don’t really want to know.
A good deal of my work on the golf course in the hot weather takes place early in the day or later in the evenings. Often in the middle of the day the temperature is too high or the wind has got up, making watering as good as useless. The low angle sunlight at the beginning and end of the day can make for some attractive panoramas.

The other night, a couple of Sugar Gums, (I think), Eucalyptus cladocalyx, which are still in bloom, caught my eye and my nose – the smell from the nectar was very powerful.

This eucalypt is endemic to South Australia. Some of its attributes include …
Very good drought tolerance.
Good for shelter belts.
Great firewood.
Produces an attractive tan coloured timber.
Very high durability.

Ideal plantation species.

Some CSIRO research even suggests that Sugar Gum is superior to Red Gum in many aspects.

However, one of its most endearing properties for me is the beautiful colours and patterns that form as the smooth bark layers peel away.

Anyway, something for me to look at as I fling hoses around, switch valves and pumps on and off etc.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

7 comments:

  1. Those are nice looking trees. I went and got out my book on honey and pollen flora by Clemson and he says that it is an excellent honey source and the honey is light in colour and of a good density. So do you have any bee hives around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Mick,
    No beehives that I'm aware of. Plenty of insects surrounding the trees some evenings, like a halo.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike eh Gouldiae, trees and low light for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day DF,
    Yeah, just after I'd uploaded I checked Ben Cruachan and saw 'In Praise of Trees' - snap!
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also have one of these beautiful gums, and noticed something interesting this year when it flowered. The first flowers appeared on the very lowest hanging limb, and then over the next few days the flowers bloomed steadily upwards into the highest branches. I've never noticed this before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Ros,
    Some firewood for the future eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Gouldiae,

    I agree - the glorious colours and textures as the bark peels off our eucalypts is absolutely delightful.

    Particularly lovely colour in your golf course trees.

    Cheers
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete