Friday, January 30, 2009

Phew!

G'day,
It's getting warm now. Two in a row over 40 degrees, and more to come apparently.

The birds even seem to be gasping, with their beaks agape. The water bowls around home are popular spots and any time there is a sprinkler going on the golf course, they flock around it.

I can't do much watering in the middle of the day at present - the temperatures are too high. The greens can burn, and a fair amount is lost to evaporation. I'm trying to be proactive and water heavily at night before the following hot day.

As I approached the 12th green tonight, I spotted a small Ring-tail Possum having a drink from the cup in the green. I ducked home for the camera and returned in hope it would be still there. I couldn't see it in the headlights of the bike, so thought I was out of luck and went ahead with changing the position of the sprinkler. I was just about to leave and decided to have a look around with the spot light and I caught him on top of the flag stick!


Just made a nice ending to my day / night.
Regards,
Gouldiae

11 comments:

  1. Hi Gouldiae
    Great story.
    The poor juvenile Butcherbird looked about to expire.
    But I absolutely loved your "find" of the little Ring-tail up the top of the Tee pole.
    Great story.
    Keep safe, down there.
    ABC Radio tells me of fires in the Strezleckis.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Denis,
    We're safe at present. Got friends in the Strzleckis that we haven't heard from yet though. We didn't get the very strong wind either, so we're doing OK at present.
    The spelling of Strzlecki reminds me of the story of the polish man who went for an eye test and when asked to read the third line CZWIXNOSTACZ, said, "Why should I read it, I know the guy."
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Gouldiae!
    The last photo of the RingTail is truly fantastic, with so much detail and expression.
    It was quite warm and humid yesterday here too. But not as bad as 40.
    Birds are lucky with you and your water bowls and sprinklers.
    And I love the joke about CZWIXNOSTACZ. It started my day with a smile. :)
    Regards
    Nickolay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the possum. Gives whole new mental picture to 'running up the flag'!

    Cheers from the waterlogged north.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Nickolay,
    Thanks for the accolades - just a fluke really. You'd understand that if you really knew my photography skills and knowledge!
    Glad I could help with the start of your day. You and others often get me off to a good start with your wonderful blog entries.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Tony,
    I knew there had to be a pun or a metaphor or a .. in there somewhere. And, I also knew I could rely on you to find one.
    Yeah, I look at the weather map every night and think it's time we built a big north -south pipe! Wouldn't be too hard. Good infrastructure project for Kevin's Recovery Package. No pumps required, downhill all the way!
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks DF.
    How's it goin' over there? Stayin' cool?
    Let's hope it doesn't end with a 'dry' change and lightning strikes!
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos of the Ringtail. Glad to hear that your day/night does actually end at some point! Thermometer outside our front door reads 46.2 at the moment. It gets a little heat off the pavers, but I don't think it's too far wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrible weather you are getting down there! Great photos of the possum. Take care in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ros and Mick,
    And thanks for the email Ros. I'll read and reply later.
    Yep, he was a great little animal. Gotta go back there tonight too, so I might take the camera and spot again.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete