Monday, December 8, 2008

Miscellaneous

G’day,
Miscellaneous – what a wonderful word. And, it allows me to post random pictures of some of the disparate things that have been happening around here of late. I seem to have been way too busy to focus on a specific subject, so here goes…


Like many others, I managed a look at the conjunction of the moon, Venus and Jupiter a few nights ago.
Apart from the sun, these are probably the three brightest objects in the sky, and they came together recently. There are five planets visible to the naked eye, but Venus and Jupiter are by far the brightest. Venus is our closest planet and Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system. Both are enveloped in dense cloud, which helps their reflective properties as well.

Early the other morning I came across seven Pelicans on the golf course dam. I’ve often seen one and sometimes a pair, so it was a bit unusual to see seven I thought. Unlike some Pelicans I’ve come across at boat launching ramps and like places, these were a little wary. (There's a pun in there for those who know me!). I had to do some creeping about the bank to get near enough for a half decent shot in the low morning light. At one point I remember thinking, “I hope there are no early golfers about to see me on my hands and knees…”

These brilliantly marked insects were in great number on our Abelia shrubs in the garden.
They have been present for a week or more now, which seems odd to me. There appears to be no damage to the plants and no other plants in the garden seem to be engulfed in them, including some other Abelias in another location.

And finally, I mentioned in the opening that we’ve been a bit busy. Broken wrists, coring the greens, watering, machinery breakdowns, and a couple of brief rain events that have caused an increase in mowing activities all pale into insignificance with the late arrival of Phoebe. Phoebe is our second grandchild, born at the Royal Women’s Hospital in Melbourne on the 4th of December. Mum and daughter are doing well. Well done Merv! It’s gunna be a beaut Christmas.
Regards,
Gouldiae

10 comments:

  1. "Miscellaneous" hardly seems an appropriate title when you are posting a photo of a beautiful new baby like that! She looks beautiful! Congrats. indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mosura
    I agree with Mick, Phoebe probably deserves a post in her own right.
    Congrats to all concerned.

    The insects on the Abelia are a form of wasp. They look to me as though they might be European Wasps, but I would have expected that you might recognise them. Therefore, perhaps they are "Paper Wasps". They chew bits of leaves and turn them into "paper" to build hanging nests in trees, or under eaves of houses. They can sting, but not as badly as European Wasps.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mick, I'll pass on your comment.
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Denis,
    I'll look into them a bit more closely. Don't want E Wasps around the place.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Gouldiae,

    and many congratulations to the parents and grandparents of the new arrival. It most certainly will be a lovely Christmas for you all.

    Oh, and I see Denis is following my misguided lead and calling you names :)

    Cheers
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your turn next Ros!
    Thanks Gaye, I think Merv will be checking in here as soon as she gets home and reading all your lovely comments. I don't mind being called names, just don't call me late for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phoebe and the smiley Moon in the one post. Splendid conjunction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denis might be close to the mark Gouldiae, with his paper wasp suggestion. different from the ones I've photographed though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tony, nice observation.
    Workin' on it DF, hope to have a good ID soon.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete