Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's Green Again!

G’day All,
Sorry for the delay between reports lately, but…

As everyone would be aware, Victoria had a nice ‘rain event’ over last weekend. Some places recorded 200+ mm. Around here there were reports of between 50 and 80mm. And, Gouldiae’s place? 30mm! A very welcome 30mm mind you, but it was an excellent demonstration of how we here in central Gippsland are definitely in a rain shadow.
I haven’t had to water the golf course for a few days now, and the place is GREEN.
Now of course, the grass is growing and the mowers are going every day.

A couple of reports ago I posted some shots of an insect that interested me. Here are some more pictures.


A bit of research, (belated), reveals that it is probably a Yellow Flower Wasp, Agromyia sp.

Some of the features that define it as a native Flower Wasp and not an introduced European Wasp are, brown wings, (cf clear), slender body of 20mm, (cf stout body of about 12mm), and no black spots on the yellow stripes, (cf a pair of black spots in the yellow stripes on the side of the abdomen).


As far as I can determine, the ones I’m seeing are the winged males, the females being wingless and soil burrowers. Their larvae parasitise other bugs in the soil. They are good at pollinating and preying on other insects. They can sting, but their toxicity is low and they do not swarm and attack when disturbed like the introduced European Wasp.


I’d better get a move on, there’s a couple of mowers to sharpen.

Regards,
Gouldiae
PS: Phoebe and mum are home and along with dad are doing well. Nice Xmas kids!

8 comments:

  1. oooh you are brave Gouldiae! Wouldn't catch me doing that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Duncan. Wasps are for leaving alone. But at least I'm lucky in never suffering adverse reaction to the excruciating stings - usually to the face - after getting too close to unseen paperwasp nests in trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice green grass, Gouldiae, but definitely don't like wasps. One stung me last week when I was cutting the hedge and I didn't even see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day DF, TT and Mick,
    Yes, it's strange I know - normally I would not have allowed one on my hand. These have been very benign. They have kept returning each evening to the same bush, and each morning, before they fly off, I've tried for a picture with the wings open and the striped body exposed. Been at it for days. The first few times one landed on me I would shake it off vigorously. Eventually I allowed one to stay long enough for the shot. Thank goodness for anti-shake in the camera though!
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Gouldiae,

    I am looking forward to spotting wasps around my garden and trying to identify them. The mud-daubers have started nesting.

    Interesting wasp you have there.

    Cheers
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice green grass. I haven't seen any wasp around here lately or any green grass for that mater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gouldiae.
    Sorry you didn't get more rain, but I'll bet you were glad of what you did get.
    Flower Wasps, eh? I'm not familiar with them. Glad you got yourself a clear photo and an ID. I'm with the others, about not inviting them to walk on my hands.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day Dave and Denis,
    I can understand why Dave - strewth it looks cold around your place at the moment.
    Yes Denis, a nice drop. I reckon if we could order it, a soft overnight 30mm every week or so would be wonderful.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete