Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Different World

G'day,
Yesterday, coming back from a quick trip down to the Latrobe Valley, I ducked into the Morwell National Park in the hope of finding some Butterfly Orchids, (Sarcochilus australis) in flower. For a short while I struggled to find them. I found a decent stand of their favourite host tree, the Prickly Currant-bush, (Coprosma qudrifida), I saw evidence of their wonderful supporting root system and only a few leaf clusters. I thought I must have been too early or late.
Eventually I came across a few specimens that had some racemes that contained some flower heads.
Such a beautiful plant. They emit a beautifully subtle scent too.

As I strolled along the track listening to a Lyrebird going through his repertoire of calls, I was thinking of how this park is less than 100 kms south west of home and is such a different ecosystem and climate.
We don't have many moss covered logs, fungi or tree ferns on the golf course!


We don't have many Stinging Nettles either, thankfully. Uncomfortable as they can be, as I was reminded briefly yesterday, they still play an important role in their own ecological niche. Why doesn't this fellow get stung I wonder....
If you are a local reading this, and you haven't been to Morwell NP for a while, or dare I say haven't been there at all, I urge you to call in one day - great little spot!
Regards,
Gouldiae

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! It must be a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to catch the last of the Sarcochilus flowers Gouldiae, it is a great spot with a range of habitats if you go walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Mosura,

    I've been missing in action lately (still amongst nature, but too busy to report).

    I am looking forward to getting back into my blogging in earnest, and catching up on my favourite nature blogs.

    I found a similar "butterfly orchid" a couple of months ago, and need to check out just what it was. It was a new find for me. I am also anxious to get amongst the rainforest again, but it will be very humid at this time of the year, and with recent rain - possibly this Sunday.

    Cheers
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, dear, how embarrassing. Of course, I meant to address that comment to Gouldiae (I have just come from Mosura's blog, and still had his entry on my mind - sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gouldiae
    Very nioce to see your Sarcochilus groing on relatively small shrubs. My local Species only grows on Blackwood Wattles, so usually 20 to 50 feet off the ground.
    Nice pictures of the Orchid and the forest generally.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day All,
    Thanks for coming by. Yep, it's a nice little corner of wet forest. It was beaut to walk about on the leaf litter without it 'crunching' like it does around here. Such a difference in climate in such a short distance.
    All the orchids were never more than a couple of metres above the ground Denis - ideal. Welcome back Gaye, I'm looking forward to your entries.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you should consider remodeling the golf corse? Nice shots G.

    ReplyDelete