Monday, October 27, 2008

Ringtail

G'day All,
My 'computer room' is some 20 or 30 metres from the house. (Sorry daughters I still call it a computer room, not a spare 'family bedroom').

A couple of nights ago, as I was stumbling back to the house in the dark, I could hear the soft yip yipping of a Sugar Glider nearby. I love these little guys and the way they glide from tree to tree so I grabbed the spotlight and tried to track him down.

I didn't find the glider, but right by the house was this little fellow...

... a Ringtail Possum.

The first part of their scientific name, Pseudocheiridae, means 'false hands', and refers to the human like hand structure of the front feet.

This bloke now completes the collection of marsupials I see mostly on the golf course. (See On The Course At Night for a record of a Sugar Glider and a Brushtail Possum). I've yet to see a Koala here. I have seen an odd Kangaroo or two at times and there are plenty of Wombats nearby, but not on the golf course thankfully.

Regards,
Gouldiae



9 comments:

  1. Great photo of a very cute looking possum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbling?? I thought you only drank coffee over there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what a Kiwi needs, more possums. But wombats, now you're talking. They'd love a nice hole in one - or any other - green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D Well spotted, Gouldiae! Great photo!
    Cute little fellows are the Ringtails.
    Cheers!
    N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually got 6 stubbies in the fridge DF. Got them ages ago - they'll last me till after xmas I reckon.
    Perhaps Tony, if there were wombat holes in the greens I might be able to drop a few putts for a change.
    Thanks Nickolay.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still haven't had a clear siting of Ringtails at my place. Usually too far up the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gouldiae,
    What about the little guys? Antechinus? Do you ever spot them scurrying around?
    I'll bet they are there, but they are hard to see.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Mosura, I was lucky I caught this one low down.
    The last Antechinus I saw Denis was some years ago when our cat brought one inside - the cat has an outside caged area attached to the house. The 'chinus must have strayed into the cage. It survived, and we were able to return it to some nearby bush. So, I guess I can say they are around here.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete