Monday, October 13, 2008

Cuckoo


G'day
Yesterday, I joined some of the Heyfield Birdwatchers for another very enjoyable stroll around Peach Flat. By lunchtime we’d tallied 30+ species and were pretty pleased with ourselves. Michelle and Rod gave us a pleasing report on their progress for the development of the project, and then we tucked into our lunches.

By the end of lunch, the day was warming up and a northerly was getting steady, so the majority decided to head home. Duncan and I remained – Duncan was keen to wander the edges of the wetland for Odonata and Reed Warblers, and over lunch I’d heard two persistent Cuckoo calls nearby, the Pallid and the Fantail.


Eventually I managed to track down the nearby Fantailed Cuckoo. As is often the case, the call was coming from further away than I suspected. Anyway, once I located it, the bird allowed me to get near enough for some acceptable pictures.



Oh and by the way Rod and Michelle, I managed to catch up with ‘Kevin’ in the process.

Regards,
Gouldiae


5 comments:

  1. Nice cuckoo shots. Unfortunately your hot northerlies are not reaching us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very good day. The photo of the wetland shows just how special the area is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can have our hot northerlies Alan, any time you want to come over and get them.
    Thanks Mick - a special place run by special people.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the Pallid stop calling, or just push off somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Tony,
    When I'd located the Fantail, I noticed the Pallid had stopped calling or had moved.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete