Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Wax-lips Are Up

G’day,
Today I saw my first Wax-lip Orchid for the season, (Glossodia sp), at the Giffard Flora Reserve. As the weather warms up, I’m guessing these and other species will start coming to the fore as the Greenhoods begin to decline.

Also saw the end result of some illegal firewood collecting – sighs in despair.
At Lake Guyatt in Sale, the Red-browed Finches were busy feeding in the grass beside the track. As walkers, (or photographers), approached too closely, they would zing off into the nearby shrubs, warning one another with their characteristic high-pitched squeak.
As I waited briefly for the finches to settle, a pair of Grey Fantails and a New Holland Honeyeater would pop out from the bushes and check me out.

Guyatt is a marvellous spot for some handy birding. I called in for barely 10 minutes today and ticked a dozen species without including any of the water birds. I often wonder if the fitness fanatics that use the track ever have any idea what they are passing by as they stride around with their heads down and ipods up!

Oh well, to each their own.
Regards,
Gouldiae

6 comments:

  1. Hi Gouldiae

    Does that happen alot? The illegal firewood collecting? What we have over in Britain that gets my goat is 'fly tipping' of rubbish in the countryside, do you get that too I wonder? Love those Red-browed Finches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great orchid - love the finches too. I haven't seen those for ....ummm, must be 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Jenny,
    Unfortunately I do see a bit too much of it, and we get the rubbish bit too. I did an entry on the Giffard reserve back in June with a pic of some dumped car bodies.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Mosura,
    Yeah, a favourite of mine too. One of the finch species that hasn't declined much around here. When we lived in Sale, I used to swim each morning at the indoor pool, and walk back home around the lake just to see the Red-brows.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the ipods. I go outside to see and hear as well what is all around me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I wrote the above, little did I know I was going to see a whole bunch of them the next day. Wax-lips that is not finches :-)

    ReplyDelete