Saturday, September 6, 2008

They're Up!

G'day folks,
Glen and I were beginning to wonder if we were going to see anything very much in the way of orchids and other wildflowers on the golf course this year. It has been so dry.

I was fertilizing the tees today. Just in front of the 17th, for the past few years, there has been a little display of what we call 'finger orchids'. After spreading the fertilizer, I thought I'd check the area out the front, just in case. There was nothing there three days ago. Lo and behold, a little bit of colour. Just amazing, the ground there is like concrete.

Above - Pink (white) Fingers, Caladenia carnea I would reckon.

Below - Blue Fingers, Cyanicula caerulea probably.

Just delicious. We will have to get busy now checking some of the other sites. We got over 30 species last year. With these two above, some Hardenbergia, Austral Indigo, a couple of Greenhoods, and a couple of early Hibertias, we're underway.
Regards,
Gouldiae.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! Doesn't fertiliser runoff harm some of these plants?

    Verification letters: no anagram needed: VW MMC - two cars companies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I STILL have a lot to learn about orchids. I was just starting to get to know some of the Scottish orchids when I moved back here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Gouldiae
    These Caladenias have not yet started up here, but I would expect them soon.
    Lovely plants.
    I have ever seen the Blue Caladenia. Pinks and whites and others in between, but not the Blue ones.
    One day I shall get lucky and find them. Probably a soil type issue. I get none on the Red Basalt, but the Sandstone is quite good for the Ladies Fingers Caladenias, but not the Spider Orchids. They seem to grow happily on poor decomposed granite soils around Canberra.
    It is always a question of learning where to look for them, and when.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day to -
    Tony the wordophile - The plants are a good 5 to 10 metres from the tee and we only fert the tees a couple of times a year.
    Mosura - Scottish orchids? Love to see some.
    Denis - Horses for courses I guess. Very poor clay and gravel where these ones grow.
    My big concern now is to keep the 'rough mower' man off them for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever we've had rain here on the Mornington Peninsula (about 50mls in the last three weeks) and I check if you've had any around Heyfield, the reply is usually is either "none" or "a few mls". Glad to see that despite the dryness of the season the orchids have persevered. Had a lovely walk through some local bush yesterday in fine conditions - was serenaded by lovely Thrush song the whole way and thought of you, as I know you love them but don't hear them much around home.

    ReplyDelete