Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Huntsman

G’day,
With half an hour to spare this morning before heading to Sale, I decided to do a quick monitor of the parrot nest boxes on the golf course.


There was a little action at one of them, so I settled in for a few pics by resting against a nearby tree. In doing so, I dislodged some bark and disturbed this bloke.


I think it’s an Isopeda, perhaps vasta? Anyway, it was quite confiding and allowed for a couple of shots.

In the meantime, the easterns at the nest box had flown off to pick over the seeds from the grasses on the adjacent fairway. I’ll just have to return another day for the birds.
Regards,
Gouldiae

7 comments:

  1. A nicely marked one too although there's still a little bit of me that is glad it's on the other side of Bass Strait. Of course the down side of having Bass Strait is that our ones cannot get away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Huntsman glad they are outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know what you mean Mosura and Neil. I know we're not supposed to be too off put by them, but they do stir up some feelings. It was a beauty though and I propped the bit of loose bark back up against the tree for it.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gouldiae
    That is a very hairy Huntsman. Great details around the face.
    All those eyes watching me from the computer screen!
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Denis,
    Yes, there is sure something about those eyes. Somewhere in my invertebrates folder I've got some shots of the eyes of a Wolf Spider that are a bit disturbing too. I don't think I am one, but it's not hard to see where arachnophobics are coming from.
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mon guys,

    Spiders need some good PR. I blame that little tart Miss Muffett for giving them a bad name. And some spiders kill cane toads!!!!

    Anagram: yi hah

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've got a smaller version of this fellow in our mail box at the moment. Discovered him yesterday. Must remember to tell my big brave husband about him, or there'll be shrieks next time he collects the mail!

    ReplyDelete