Wednesday, September 24, 2008

At Nest Beside The 4th.

G’day Dear Readers,
Despite being a little busy for a few days, I managed to squeeze in a game of golf on Tuesday. Glad I did.


While searching for a wayward tee shot beneath the large Red Box trees beside the 4th fairway, I glanced up just in time to see a flash of colour disappear into a small hollow in one of the branches. I wasn’t allowed to stay too long to see what the bird was, so I went back with the camera later and waited.
Eventually the green and red head of a Musk Lorikeet popped out.
After firing off some shots, the partner arrived.
I watched for some time and even saw the second bird enter the hole as well. It must surely have been a squeeze.

Hollows in these and other large trees must really be at a premium. Some of the ‘hollow nesters’ that I see around here include the Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets, Crimson and Eastern Rosellas, Kookaburras, Galahs, Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and Pardalotes. These birds along with Brushtail and Ringtail Possums, Sugar Gliders and almost certainly some Bat species, would have to add up to some sort of housing pressure.


Think I’d better expand my nest box program.
Regards,
Gouldiae

2 comments:

  1. Great photos of the nest hollow and the birds. Glad you went back and waited for the birds.

    ReplyDelete