Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Yellow Box

G’day,
In an effort to try and identify my local eucalypt species a bit better, I’ve decided to pick some of my favourite trees on the golf course next door, and discover what I can about them.

This big Yellow Box, Eucalyptus melliodora, stands right beside the 12th green. It’s mostly hidden as you approach from down the fairway, but as you get within chipping distance it comes into view and being only a few metres off the green, dominates the background.


The leaves are thin, small, grey-green in colour and have a distant marginal vein. The ovoid fruit often have the dark remains of a staminal ring.


Yellow box honey is regarded as just about the best tasting of the eucalypt honeys. The wood is hard and durable, and is good for posts and firewood.

On the lower trunk, the bark is rough and fibrous and grey-brown in colour. The inner bark is quite yellow. The upper trunk and branches are smooth barked and gum like.



I’ve admired this tree for some time. Others around it have blown down or are dying, but this beauty seems quite healthy. May long it reign and watch many a putt lip the hole.

Regards,
Gouldiae.


4 comments:

  1. A nice specimen too.

    We only have 29 species to choose from down here so it makes the ID process a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gouldiae.
    You forgot to add - the wood is a real bugger to split for firewood!
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting post. Yellow Box honey - if it is collected by itself and not mixed with honey from other species - does not granulate. However, it doesn't have enough pollen and the bees need another source of pollen if they are not to be adversely affected. btw this is from my bee-keeping days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Denis, I agree. I like to get mine a season early - half green it splits a bit easier - but gee, it burns well.

    Hi Mick, fascinating, thanks. I'll remember that when I spread my next peanut butter, honey and sultana sandwich - don't laugh before you try it!

    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete