Friday, August 29, 2008

Looking Promising

G’day All,
A few days ago I finally got around to finishing and erecting 6 new parrot nest boxes – 3 in our garden and 3 on the golf course. I think I was just in time.

The three boxes in the garden have been checked by Eastern Rosellas already. I was hoping some Crimson Rosellas might have got a look in, as their numbers seemed to have declined since we moved here.


I was chain sawing some firewood to see us through to the last of winter, hopefully, and when I glanced up I caught this eastern checking out the nearest box.





I’m sorry for the quality of the images. I just grabbed the camera and fired from some distance. As the birds settle down and grow more accustomed to me being near, I hope to get some better shots.
Regards, Gouldiae

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting about the nesting boxes. Now that is something I would really like to have in my garden. I look forward to hearing more about them - and maybe you could tell a bit more about construction and siting, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I've been meaning to get around to this. I had nest boxes in Scotland for Bluetits which were used every year.

    I wonder if I'm too late. Like Mick, I have questions.

    * Dimensions
    * Height above ground
    * Direction nest faces
    * Attachment to tree.

    Maybe if you have a chance you could do a seperate post on it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again

    Well you've motivated me to hurry up and make a nest box. I used the information here as a guide. I just need to put the lid on and borrow a ladder so hopefully it will be up tomorrow.

    I was going to put roofing felt on the lid but non of the hardware shops here have even heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Mosura,
    Well done you. I hope you get some interest. Yeah, there's heaps of resources out there. I've got a small book 'Nestboxes for Australian Birds and Animals' somewhere. That was my starting point.
    I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on, and some pics!
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Gouldiae!
    I wish your boxes are home for many generations of happy young parrots!
    And I'm waiting for your future posts :)
    Cheers!
    Nickolay

    ReplyDelete