Saturday, July 19, 2008

Well Named

G’day All,
What I call the 'bush wattles' are in blooming profusion, (smiles to self), around here at present. The beautiful golden yellow flower heads contrast wonderfully with the grey green of our bush, and with the blue sky. They’re always a good indicator that the days are drawing out a little too.


At Swallow Lagoon Reserve, where Duncan and I go on a regular basis to do a bird survey, there is an attractive understory wattle that provides excellent habitat for small birds, and it is beautifully named.



When it is in flower, it adds another dimension to the bushland scene, but up close it’s another story – thorns!

Why ‘Well Named’?
1. Acacia paradoxa. I guess the paradox is that it is attractive, until you are up close.

2. Kangaroo Thorn. Not sure of the kangaroo bit, but there is no doubting the thorn part.

3. Prickly Wattle. Yep, certainly.

4. Hedge Wattle. Apparently in some places it was cultivated as a hedge for containing domestic animals – ideal.
But, the one I like best and can confirm from experience, and will use from now on if I’m ever asked, is ..
5. Bugger Bush – perfect!
Regards,
Gouldiae.

7 comments:

  1. I remember that one from the Tamworth / Armidal are in N.S.W. Apparently it's a naturalised introduction here in Tassie too although I don't recall seeing it here. I hope not to 'bump into it'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gouldiae
    Looks lovely in the distance.
    Certainly would be "a bugger" to push past, though, with all those spines, and it grows densely, obviously.
    I don't get that variety here. We have some prickly wattles, but smaller and weaker than yours.
    Nice post - with all those appropriate names.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favourite nesting site for those finches you love so well Gouldii. Very attractive too despite the thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Gouldiae,

    I love it when the wattles start flowering around the Hunter Valley, as it is always the start of the "noticable" natives - you know, the ones you don't have to crawl around the ground to find, like the orchids.

    As yet, I haven't begun to attempt to identify local acacias, but I should. I know we have a couple of thorny ones too.

    Great post. I will be dropping by regularly to check out your nature observations.

    Cheers
    Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially like the second photo with the blue sky behind the wattle. What I think of as typically Australian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Good People,
    Thank you for the comments. The good old Aussie Acacias are a wonderful species. I once met a keen elderly field naturalist who spent most of her outings searching for the colour yellow. (We're all different you know). She'd be quite excited around here about now.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's be excited until bugger got her.

    ReplyDelete